Optical Fiber Technician, Southampton
||£21000 - £27000 per annum
Our client is a market leader in the field of 'Specialty' optical fibers are celebrating over 30 years in business. Their innovative products are used in a diverse range of industrial sectors including aerospace, telecommunications, energy and fundamental research.
They are seeking to recruit an Optical Fiber Technician so if working for a smaller but successful and ambitious organisation where you will make a difference would be of interest this could be the role for you!
This full time hands-on shift role is responsible for drawing preforms in to optical fiber before it is transferred into Test. You would work 12 hour shifts with an average of 42.5 hours per week worked over a fortnightly period some of which would be worked at night.
- - The initial set up of preforms on the draw tower
- - Changing dies
- - Performing coating changes
- - Monitoring results and output throughout the process
- - Ensuring the smooth and efficient running of the equipment, trouble-shooting as required
- - Identifying and conducting process improvements on existing and new products
Although full training will given for this role the ideal candidate should have:-
Experience of working in a technical or manufacturing environment, perhaps with an interest in science or technology. Any Fiber Optic industry experience would be an advantage.
- Have a keen eye for detail and demonstrate the ability to get things right first time
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent), grade C and above, to include Maths and Science.
- Good communication skills
- IT Literate, familiar with Microsoft Office applications.
- Due to the nature of the work accessing equipment via steps, a reasonable level of fitness is essential.
- Be happy to work with minimum supervision
In return we are offering :-
a salary of £21-23K per year depending on experience (plus current shift premium of 20%)
28 days holiday (including Bank Holidays.
Subsidised gym Membership.