Site Reliability Engineer
Contract Length: 6 Months
IR35: Out of Scope
Salary: Up to £700pd Ltd Company
Security Clearance: SC Eligible
One of five core digital hubs (London, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Blackpool)
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will play a critical part in driving world-class delivery excellence within one of the largest transformation programmes in Europe. Your expertise will make digital services more reliable and reduce operational costs and risks through automation throughout the application delivery lifecycle.
Having moved away from reliance on multiple third-party suppliers, we are building our own best-practice digital capability in-house. Working as part of the reliability engineering team and with critical stakeholders, you will be responsible for optimising the reliability of relevant line of business applications. You will use industry-leading tools to increase the reliability of software for applications and infrastructure, optimise performance monitoring and automate low-value tasks.
The SRE will be accountable for the end-to-end reliability of applications ensuring that they meet agreed service level objectives and will work within an error budget agreed with the business unit. You will work closely with software engineers to identify, manage, and prioritise reliability improvements using a backlog. You will tackle a wide range of complex software and system issues that will require a deep understanding of the application architecture, software engineering, and underpinning infrastructure.
Using DevOps principles and Agile methods you will be at the forefront of embedding good practice across the digital organisation.
Reporting to the Digital Hub Lead, your key responsibilities will include:
• Assure the quality of automation for their business applications
• Optimise the ratio of toil to incident and problem resolution
• Provide third level support embedded within the product development team
• Analyse performance issue trends to identify underlying root causes and identify opportunities to improve reliability, security and capability of infrastructure, application and site services
• Define the professional development of the team aligned to business priorities
• Actively engage with stakeholders, providing clear communication of service improvements and incident resolutions
• Promote and share best practice and quality focused ways of working across the application lifecycle
• Provide specialist technical support and assistance to development projects
• Coach and mentor the team to deliver consistent levels of capability and service
• Model and demonstrate appropriate business behaviours, good practice, and the intelligent application of industry methods and techniques
This role would be most suited to an individual with an extensive background in software engineering with deep knowledge of programming and scripting languages, and working on cloud-continuous environments using Agile methods to DevOps principles. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following essential skills and experience:
• Advanced investigation, diagnosis, coordination and resolution of major incidents
• Advanced skills in cloud-continuous environments, methods, and tooling
• The ability to lead engineers in a complex, multi-disciplinary environment, delivering products within specific timescales
• Skilled knowledge and ability in modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by other engineers
• Ability to architect and administer scalable, cloud-native and on-premise applications
• Setting, communicating, implementing, and achieving business objectives and goals through direct management
• Leading continuous improvement
• Communications skills across multiple stakeholder types
• Time management and change management
• Understanding of security engineering and security best practice
• Passionate about improving internal processes
• Recognised certification in Scrum, Kanban and/or Lean techniques
• ITIL Foundation
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed.
The level of security needed is security check.