Census Release Manager
Pertemps Scotland Ltd are working with our client in Edinburgh to recruit for a Census Release Manager in the Public Sector on a temporary basis for 12 Months with potential extension.
Due to current circumstances this role will be based remotely.
Day rate: £240 - £280 (Inside IR35)
The main duties would be:
- Release planning: Adopt and maintain the Release Plan across the Census Programme. Maintains the Release Plan for all core IT and operational components ensure alignment across work threads, departments, key partners and vendors. Coordinates release impact assessments and release change requests as required, guiding and securing approval through relevant governance.
- Coordination of Releases: Coordinate release content / dependencies and effort based on the development backlog, pending defects / problems, third party applications delivery, or IT architecture / infrastructure system updates and business process and operational requirements. Manage relationships and coordinate delivery schedule based on business requirements, release dependencies and constraints across different project teams.
- Manage Change: Participate in CCB meetings to discuss release scope and/or roadblocks. Negotiate, plan and manage all release changes to schedules, content and quality expectations, liaising with relevant stakeholders and securing appropriate agreement.
- Testing Interface: Ensure that Release testing requirements are coordinated from delivery teams into the testing cycles in timely manner. Ensure that Testing teams have all information they require to manage the environment requirements, testing requirements and coordinate testing entry criteria agreement (especially around UAT and Digital First needs) and checking. Escalate release delivery to testing issues as appropriate.
- Issue/Risk Management: Proactively identify, manage and escalate release based issues and risks and coordinate the resolution / mitigation of issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality. Ensuring go-live risks and mitigations are documented and approved by SRO/Programme governance.
- Internal Assurance: Conduct and participate in broader Census Release Readiness reviews, Milestone Gate Reviews, and Operational Readiness reviews. Escalating programme risks, issues and dependencies - providing recommendations for remediation as appropriate. Act on any assigned actions / recommendations.
- Reporting: Produce fortnightly Release Status Reports. Communicate release details and schedules to the broader Census programme teams as required. Works closely with Programme Director Office to maintain consistency between Release Plan and the overall Programme Plan.
- Communication: Communicate all key project plans, commitments, and changes including definitive release plans, requirements, QA plans, schedule, and scope changes. Advise Project Boards or equivalent management of deviations from the established Census Release Plan. Maintain the Release Story deliverable which documents the overall release approach to Census governance groups / stakeholders..
- Works closely with Project / Programme managers and Business Leads to assess status / risks of delivery commitments and quality / testing entry criteria for required IT and business processes. Also coordinates delivery of required assets to live environments.
- Works closely with Testing manager to assess testing capacity for releases and to assess testing outcomes and implications for future releases.
- Works closely with Census Business Leads to understand business and statistical dependencies and constraints which could impact release content / change.
- Works closely with Cutover and Operational Readiness Programme manager to assess and coordinate the release schedule and outcomes in terms of IT asset and operational readiness indicators. The Release Manager is responsible for ensuring the release is effectively handed over to IT / business operations.
- Works closely with IT Programme Manager / Architecture / Integration staff to understand technical dependencies and constraints which could impact release content / change.
- Works with IT Service Introduction managers (and other IT and project managers as appropriate) to assess readiness of technical assets for movement to integration with production environments.
- A successful track record in the management of large-scale operations / digital programmes & projects, to time and cost, which delivered quality outcomes and tangible business benefits.
- Substantial experience of successfully delivering complex, multi-faceted programmes including digital technology delivery, multiple service / technical suppliers, people and process change deployment in a complex stakeholder environment.
- 2-6 years of previous release and/or project management experience. Formal training in project management practices preferred
- A degree or similar level of education, or significant equivalent senior level experience.
- Significant knowledge of software development lifecycle and principles of software release management.
- A strong and broad understanding of current programme and project management approaches and methodologies (including both Agile and Waterfall). ITIL Framework awareness useful.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills are a must. Ability to manage complex internal and external relationships across multiple teams, including deploying conflict management skills.
- Ability to negotiate with and influence senior stakeholders across multiple departments / organisations.
- Ability to apply risk assessment and management principles and processes. Ability to understand and identify problems, analysing and helping to identify the appropriate solution.
- Ability to apply commercial expertise and advice, including experience of contract management of IT suppliers.
- Experience of public sector-based programmes and project management.
- Experience of public-sector based governance and complex authorising environments.