Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.
About our roles:
Due to the continued expansion of our clean water network modelling team, we have opportunities available based at our Reading and Hampton offices.
Are you an experienced hydraulic engineer or possibly a water systems engineer looking to put your network understanding and analytical skills to work? Join us and you’ll be part of a company where people are at the heart of the business. We value the unique skills, experiences, and backgrounds that each employee brings.
We are looking to recruit experienced water network modellers into our industry-leading Asset Management Team. Your knowledge of clean water networks and hydraulic modelling will become an essential part of our efforts to handle the growth and the challenges of supplying water while moving toward a zero-carbon position and dramatically reducing leakage.
The water modelling team is at the core of the business and the role provides opportunities to support a wide variety of workstreams within the company. You will play a critical role in assessing the capability of our clean water networks to support local growth and new development as well as involvement in projects that involve a strategic transfer of water to improve the capability and resilience of customer supplies, as well as upgrades and optimisation of our network.
Typical areas of responsibility include:
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
- Building, assembling and maintenance of hydraulic network models
- Identifying and quantifying water network risks
- Working with large data sets - collection and analysis of network and operational data
- Management of flow and pressure surveys
- Interrogation, calibration, and verification of water hydraulic models
- Analyse the impact of growth and development on the network
- Production of information and reports which underpin decisions on how we operate our clean water network and where we need to invest to ensure supplies to our customers
- Become a key point of contact, collaborating with colleagues, and engaging with stakeholders to further our objectives. You will influence and inform colleagues and senior leadership on operational and investment decisions
- Delivering excellent customer service and continuous improvement
What’s in it for you?
- Demonstrable experience in the use of hydraulic potable water network models, preferably with previous experience in the use of network modelling software EPANet, InfoWater, InfoWorks or similar, as well as the ability to demonstrate an understanding of hydraulic principles is essential
- Previous experience in supervising consultants and coaching team members is preferable
- You should be comfortable handling complex technical issues, whilst being able to communicate clearly and concisely with operational and planning colleagues
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Office and GIS is essential
- Due to the nature of this role, you will be required to have a valid full driving licence
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. We also provide mentoring support for working toward Chartership in a relevant field and reimburse annual membership fees in a relevant professional society, such as CIWEM.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we have adopted during the pandemic. We want to create a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles, we are moving to a hybrid approach where we will provide options around working from our offices, our operational sites and home dependent on role/team/individual. This will be discussed during the assessment process.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader and we are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.