Sales & Sponsorship Manager
£30,000 to £34,000 per annum
Purpose of the Post:
This new and exciting role of Sales & Sponsorship Manager role, will be the central point of contact for advertising sales and event/activity sponsorship that the organisation undertakes. The postholder will gain and use broad and in-depth understanding of the organisations programmes and services to develop and identify the return on investment they present to sponsors and advertising. They will also use that knowledge to go out and build valuable long-term relationships with corporate partners that include large STEM business, graduate recruiters, national brands and local businesses.
They will be responsible for the development and performance of external sales activities in the Student Voice & Communications directorate, working proactively in selling advertising and sponsorship opportunities, and establish plans and strategies to expand the customer base. They will be expected to annually deliver an ambitious income target and look at areas for growth, as well as assisting other teams with their sponsorship efforts. They will also offer support for sponsorship work undertaken by volunteers in our Clubs, Societies & Projects.
• To pro-actively sell all advertising opportunities (including and not limited to email, social media, website, on-site stalls or flyer distribution, adverts in student newspaper, ambient media), to potential clients through various communication channels including telephone, e-mail, fax, literature distribution, direct mail campaigns, client visits, presentations, site visits and promotional functions.
• Working with the Marketing & Communications Manager to develop a business plan and sales strategy for advertising sales to ensure budgeted income is achieved or exceeded, year on year, including any marketing needed to promote sales and sponsorship opportunities, (e.g. sales guide, website for sales and sponsorship opportunities), ensuring that marketing is hitting the right types of companies, industries and sectors.
• Increase the volume of new business by maximising all sales opportunities, and proactively trying to convert all sales enquiries to generate revenue.
• Have a broad and in-depth understanding of the organisations programmes and services, developing and identifying viable options for sponsorship to proactively achieve.
• Manage sponsorship deals for other events/teams from inception to delivery of agreement.
• Support teams and Clubs, Societies & Projects with their sponsorship offers, e.g. through training, 1-2-1 meetings, help to review opportunities and generate ideas for new ones.
Events, activities and initiatives
• Manage logistics, administration and sales of stalls for fairs under the Marketing team (Freshers' Fair and Refreshers' Fair),
• Cultivate, develop and manage relationships with local and national businesses, maintaining regular contact and reporting on their bookings and agreements with us.
Reporting and research
• Produce sales forecasts and budgets and detailed reports to highlight activity, past present and future.
• Be responsible for creating, maintaining and managing a comprehensive database of all such contacts keeping statistical records of contact activity and provide regular reports where required.
• Prepare and carry out effective research of sales leads and prospects, analysing relevant data to help inform sales and sponsorship work, and present research and findings where necessary.
• Be constantly aware of changes in the higher education sector that may affect our sales and sponsorship offerings, and be able to make recommendations for and implement changes to maintain revenue stream.
Candidates/post holders will be expected to demonstrate the following Essential (E)/
Sales/marketing related qualification D
Experience or equivalent of working in a busy, customer focused organisation E
Experience of budget management (income and expenditure) and financial processes E
Aptitude to generate new ideas, develop them into successful initiatives and seeing them through to their conclusion E
Experience of working within Higher Education D
Experience within a student or membership organisation D
Experience of building and retaining long term relationships with local, national and/or international companies E
Experience of conducting, analysing and reporting market research E
Experience of organising an coordinating events from start to finish E
An understanding of marketing aimed at the youth and student market E
Excellent understanding of the structures, systems and politics affecting higher education D
Skills & Abilities
Competent IT skills – Microsoft Office, E-mail, website/content management systems E
Knowledge and experience of using customer relationship management software and ability to use effectively to develop and track sales E
Possess the ability to deliver high standards of quality customer service E
Proactive approach in engaging with clients to build contacts and develop relationships, e.g. meetings, cold calling E
Excellent administration and organisation abilities E
Ability to work effectively on your own as well as in a team E
Exceptional verbal and written communication skills E
Ability to work well under pressure, with minimal supervision and maintain high standards and excellent attention to detail E
Be confident working and liaising with both clients and management at a senior level E
Experience of using the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and/or Illustrator particular) D
Values, Attitudes and Personal Style
Have an ethical approach to how they work E
Interest in student led events and services E
Appropriate legal knowledge, e.g. health & safety, public liability D
Evidence of commitment to continuing Personal and Professional Development E
Commitment to Equal Opportunities E
Commitment to working in a democratic and student led environment E
Commitment to high standards of customer care E
Flexibility and an adaptable approach to work E