Your primary focus is on delivering great food for our students.
You will manage to delight your customers and deliver efficient operations to meet company targets and budgets. At the forefront of your mind will always be to set and maintain standards of our work that reflects the professional image of the company at all times.
You will be thinking about what lies ahead and you will lead your team in seeking continuous improvement.
Key to the success of this management and leadership position will be building positive and enduring relationships across customer, student, supplier and employee teams.
Scope – Level 1
Reports to Area Manager or Regional Operations Manager dependent size. Undertakes day to day management of your contract covering a number out lets on one site. Building ongoing development of the offer and to ensure successful delivery of all service offers.
Responsible for delivering targeted Profit and Loss accounts and Budget achievement.
Leadership of your team, development of your relationships with all key stakeholders is vital.
In still a strong health and safety and food safety culture.
Health & Safety
• Take personal responsibility for your own and the health and safety of others under your direction
• Create your own health and safety plan in line with business objectives
• Set and maintain the highest standards of Health and Safety and Food Safety in compliance with company policy and ensure you close out of actions
• Ensure you have sufficient health and safety champions in your area and facilitate the role in support of our Health and Safety Plan
• Develop and organise your people to ensure successful implementation of health and safety initiatives
• Ensure all risk assessments have been correctly completed and signed off
• Ensure all accidents are reported on day 1 analyse statistics and ensure that records are available for access at all times as required
• Ensure sufficient supply of uniform and PPE for all staff
• Plan and undertake periodic audits and spot checks to ensure compliance with Health and Safety systems
• Take ownership of any health and safety and food safety issues (following an audit, inspection or event) and manage to an improved solution
• Ensure compliance to all food development process and procedures i.e. menu creation
• Consult with the Food Development Team and Customers to develop menus responding to feedback
• Ensure your team follow the correct recipes and compliance menus are adhered to daily, including all presentation, promotion and pricing.
• Instil a culture of compliance by ensuring your team are briefed and compliant with the Food Policies (i.e. cultural, religious, ethnic, allergies, special diets)
• Ensure the appropriate Approved Product List for menus and communicate to your team to ensure understanding and compliance
• Provide and review all equipment and tools to minimise waste and control production
• Ensure customer satisfaction levels are reviewed, monitored and actioned
• Ensure customers' expectations are understood, communicated and exceeded
• Establish and maintain positive relationships with your Clients, attending regular meetings and proactively managing meeting outcomes
• Ensure that all complaints and feedback from Customers are dealt with promptly
• Organise enjoyable events for all key stakeholders that promote and grow our business
• Lead the implementation of all School Meals projects
• Attend monthly Key Performance Indicator meetings ensuring that all identified actions are closed out
• Sharing quality information with the Client and keeping them informed of all aspects of the service
• Deal with any contractual issues promptly and proactively, escalating as required
• Lead by example and ensure you manage people considerately, taking into account the Company's equal opportunities/diversity policies
• Deliver regular and clear communication with your team using a range of techniques including but not limited to face to face team meetings, briefing notes, emails, telephone
• Create a resource plan to facilitate the needs of your business
• Take responsibility for your own personal development plan to demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement
• Maintain and support personal and professional development plans for your team, to extend their skills to drive the business forward and maximise their potential
• Ensure relevant training is carried out across your team within agreed deadlines and recorded appropriately
• Carry out annual appraisals with your team, setting stretching and challenging goals to meet the needs of our Account Development Plans.
• Ensure understanding and compliance with Company HR policy and procedures as you may be required to participate at such meetings
Planning, Control and Reporting
• Ensure effective plans are in place to achieve business objectives
• Develop and implement a key account management plan, review periodically and produce contingency plans to achieve business objectives
• Set high standards and ensure full compliance with Company policies and procedures
• Effectively organise yourself and your team to achieve business deadlines (weekly returns to regional office and termly CSI audits, termly student focus groups, team appraisals, Area/Cluster meetings)
• Ensure management information is accurately recorded and maintained through personnel files including but not limited to HR/ Payroll , food safety, health and safety and training
• Initiate and implement new ideas that will drive improved satisfaction to our Customers, Clients, Teams and Shareholders
• Set budgetary targets and ensure that your team is focused on delivery. Prepare detailed reports and answer queries in a timely manner.
• Maintain and analyse financial controls systems including payroll / Flash / Weekly Operating Report (WOR) /Purchasing etc.
• Play an active role in the Business Review Process ensuring a full understanding of Profit and Loss account, ensuring reporting is accurate and any appropriate actions are taken to deliver Budget.
• Share financial targets and performance with team to ensure understanding and compliance
• Constantly seek ideas and initiatives to improve financial performance.
• Draw up reports detailing sales trends.
• Identify change opportunities quickly and proactively
• Involve your team in planning for the harnessing of change
• Take responsibility when change is necessary and follow through delivery
• Encourage creative suggestions from others and act on these ideas positively and proactively to drive engagement
• Identify and develop more effective ways of working to meet the needs of the business
• Consider a broad business perspective when developing objectives for your own area of responsibility
Relevant Training and Qualifications
• Level 3 Food Safety certificate or equivalent
• 2 year's experience as a chef
• Health and safety certificate or equivalent
• A full driving licence
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft packages – specifically Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
Skills and Experience:
• Minimum 2 years' experience at similar level
• Proven ability to manage, lead and motivate a team of people
• Able to demonstrate a sound understanding of school catering
• Food preparation and cooking skills
• Ability to work under pressure and use own initiative
• Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel or equivalent computer packages
• Proven financial and commercial acumen
• Proven record of managing and delivering against budget and Profit and Loss account
• Excellent skills in Microsoft packages – specifically Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Strong ability to build and maintain client, customer and employee relationships
• Positive pro-active attitude
• High energy and drive to deliver beyond expectations
• High level focus on the achievement of targeted results
• High level of flexibility and a positive attitude to innovation and change
• Eye for detail ensuring compliance on contract, SLA and legislation
• Leadership skills to create and foster the right environment for people to perform, learn and develop