Home Improvement Officer (DFGs)
This is a highly rewarding role where the outcomes can make a real difference to residents day to day functions.
Working under the general direction of the Principal Home Improvement Officer to :
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process Disabled Facilities Grants for eligible clients of the service and provide advice and guidance for self-funders.
- Be responsible for own caseload and development of personal specialist knowledge as a contribution to the overall development and service provision.
- Provide advice to enquirers concerning the availability or otherwise of Disabled Facilities Grants and the works required to adapt dwellings to meet clients' needs in the most economical way in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Carry out property inspections in line with current legislation and advise clients on availability or otherwise of assistance with funding repairs
- Visit disabled persons in their own homes to complete application forms and carry out means tests and surveys.
- Prepare plans and schedules of work for approval by occupational therapists and service users (and planning and building control, where applicable).
- Liaise on operational and technical issues with other Council departments and outside bodies.
- Cost estimates, including setting fixed prices on smaller jobs. Negotiate with contractors where necessary
- Meet with contractors and service users to discuss plans for adaptations, and site visits to discuss start dates and works to be carried out.
- Prepare grant approvals, agree alterations, additional and unforeseen works and inspect work for payment requests.
- Monitor the progress of each case, ensuring that clients are kept up-to-date throughout the process and resolve problems that may arise to ensure a quality service is provided.
- Ensure the maintenance of building standards and compliance with established procedures.
- Organise a balanced programme of work and prioritise workload to ensure the team's objectives and targets are met, including effective service delivery.
- Provide support and advice to other officers in the team including updates on technical matters and any other duties and responsibilities that may fall within scope of knowledge.
Contact Ken Wood at Network Public Sector