Our client based in Merthyr Tydfil is looking for an experienced Housing Standards Technical Officer for an immediate start PART-TIME temporary assignment.
Working 3 days per week the successful candidate will be required to provide technical advice, support and guidance to Homes and Places Division and the wider Welsh Government as needed, to ensure that the standard of housing in Wales is improved and maintained. This includes appraisal of schemes funded by the Social Housing Grant and technical advice and guidance on new and existing sustainability standards.
- Contribute to policy development in the areas of new-build social housing and the refurbishment of existing stock.
- Assist with monitoring existing schemes already developed, and the provision of quality assurance including data collection.
- Assist in the development, monitoring and review of new build and existing dwelling standards across all tenures, including data collection.
- Support the development of new standards for both new build housing and refurbishment of existing properties.
- Assist and advise on the development and delivery of standards relating to non-traditional and innovative housing solutions.
- Support the provision of technical design, quality assurance and constructions cost advice to Ministers, Homes & Places Division and other Welsh Government Departments.
- Support the team's development of the energy efficiency agenda within the housing stock in Wales.
- Support the development of proposals for monitoring, evaluation and research relating to the above.
- Provide drafts of policy advice, briefing, correspondence and speeches for senior officials, Ministers and other government Business, as required.
Job Specific Criteria
- Experience of policy development work, associated with new-build social housing. Ideally within public sector organisations, and specifically within national or local government .
- A proven ability to provide detailed analysis and understanding of design and construction as related to social housing.
- Evidence of ability to evaluate development and cost data.
- Working knowledge of constructions standards, with particular reference to residential development and affordable housing.
- Evidence of achievement in higher education and specifically in the fields of architecture and the built environment.
- A highly motivated individual capable of demonstrating initiative and an ability to work independently, and a willingness to bring flexibility to bear in working as part of a small team.