Job Title: Technical Author
Salary: £30,000 - £36,000 per annum
Contract Type: Permanent
Sector: Engineering / Manufacturing
All CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org
An exciting opportunity has arisen for Technical Author based in Clevedon to join an expanding company. The business is highly innovative; customer focused and has grown rapidly over recent years.
The Technical Author should have an understanding of all aspects of the documentation lifecycle, working closely with team members and project subject matter experts, producing the highest quality documentation to ensure that up-to-date work instruction manuals and other documentation is available to customers, Company service personnel and staff world-wide in printed and electronic formats.
Support all phases of the core documentation process:
Information gathering and planning
Content development and implementation
As a Technical Author your duties will be:
- Convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English;
- Manipulate text and images to create well-structured, documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user;
- Establish correct terminology and use it consistently;
- Plan, research, write, and edit documents from conception to delivery;
- Gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and sometimes interacting with the product directly;
- Monitor related information sources and attend appropriate project meetings to determine and communicate requirements, priorities and dependencies;
- Adapt written and graphical communication styles to suit different target audiences.
- Create or commission photographs or illustrations;
- With the product Technical Authority, scrutinise, proof read and edit as necessary all documentation produced, to ensure complete accuracy of content and presentation prior to distribution.
- Where possible, testing content with users to refine and improve so their needs are met as effectively as possible.
- Reviewing the way the Company's technical documents are compiled and produced, suggesting improvements and implementing agreed changes.
- Maintaining the accuracy of all technical publication databases/records by amending them as required
An ideal Technical Author will hold the following skills and experiences:
- Qualified to degree or HNC/HND in mechanical or electromechanical engineering; appropriate time served apprenticeships or forces experience will be considered.
- Strong technical writing experience in an engineering environment must provide evidence of good authoring skills;
- Production of test and/or service related documentation in a related or similar engineering field;
- Familiarity with manufacturing delivery environments and associated processes and terminology.
- Must have good I.T. skills, especially competence with software running on the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- A good working knowledge and recent use of Adobe Framemaker (V9 onwards) Microsoft Office 2010, and in particular Microsoft Word, is essential;
- Must have experience of writing in DITA XML application is preferable;
- Must be able to accurately interpret mechanical drawings and electrical diagrams, and also data and instructions given by project engineers and technologists
- Must be able to carry out editorial reviewing of work produced by peers;
- Must be able to follow processes as instructed by the Documentation Manager
- Must be able to follow processes as instructed by the team lead.
- Any skills in the following areas are also beneficial:
Use of Microsoft SharePoint;
Familiarity with extracting images from 3D models
Illustration/graphic design/digital photography and photo editing, and the use of software such as Corel Draw/PhotoPaint and Adobe Fireworks;
Indexing and taxonomy;
User interface design;
Facilitating technical reviews;
Formatting and publishing;