Job Title - Senior Project Manager
Salary - £55,000
Duration - Permanent / Full Time
Sector - Software Engineering
All applications to - Bristol.firstname.lastname@example.org
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Project Manager to join an independent systems software engineering company based in Barnstaple. The role has arisen within the Maritime Division to cover lead and manage complex projects within the defence sector. The successful candidate will maintain excellent customer relationships and consistently deliver promised business results. Additionally, the role will involve heading the Project Management discipline across 4 other sites
The purpose of the Senior Project Manager is to:
- Be customer, subcontractor and internal point of contact for allocated projects.
- Manage full project lifecycle from capture to acceptance.
- Provide effective leadership of multidiscipline team; managing direct and indirect reports
- Provide bid management support to develop further opportunities through existing contract change notes, new enquiries and bids;
- Ensure there is appropriate development of staff working on your allocated projects;
- Overall financial responsibility; ensuring projects meet budgets and forecasts.
- Complete project against business budget and forecasts maximising customer satisfaction
- Ensure appropriate development of staff working on your allocated projects;
- Acting as a Company Leader for all work related to the Project Management Discipline, covering People, Processes and Tools. This spans Project, Programme and Portfolio Management.
The role will involve:
- Achieving budgeted performance of allocated programmes, monitor progress against target providing detailed forecast updates, initiate actions to maintain or exceed budgeted revenue, gross margin and cash performance and effectively manage all associated Risks and Opportunities.
- Stakeholder Management; to maintain and develop cooperative and constructive relationships with customers, suppliers and within company leads to maximise the opportunities for Communications Systems.
- Project delivery; ensure projects are suitably planned and executed in accordance with the Company Management System.
- Support to business development; work with the business development team to maximise the opportunities for the Communications Systems Division.
- Deliver winning proposals which are compliant with customer requirements and are delivered on time.
- People management; encourage and ensure regular communications within the team to maintain good staff motivation and ensure all staff are managed against and achieve, SMART objectives.
- Provide regular feedback regarding performance and contribution ensuring appraisals and PDP's.
The ideal Senior Project Manager will hold the following skills and experience:
- A versatile, highly capable and an enthusiastic leader with the proven experience of successful delivery of complex design and development projects to UK MOD, major defence prime contractors or overseas shipyards.
- Proven experience of managing complex systems / technical environment in the UK defence sector
- Experience of managing firm price £5m+ defence systems contracts;
- Experience of managing full lifecycle complex software contracts; from capture to acceptance.
- Must have experience of managing multi-disciplined teams specifically software development teams.
- Proven experience of successfully delivering bid & design projects.
- Experience of managing within a project team based structure.
- Strong risk management ability;
- An excellent communicator and able to demonstrate both effective change and conflict management;
- Member of the APM;
- Proven in-depth knowledge and experience of all phases of a project from inception, planning and organisation, monitoring and control, closure - ideally in both the commercial and military environment;
- Understanding of Earned Value Management, Risk Management, Supplier Management;
- Knowledge of different commercial arrangements including Fixed Price Design and Manufacture, Availability-based Service Provision, Time and Materials contracts, etc.;
- Demonstrable understanding of best practice Project Management process and metrics;
- Thorough knowledge of Project Management Competences and their application including knowledge of the APM framework;
- Hands-on experience of working with Project Management Tools, such as Microsoft Project, Primavera, ARM, @Risk, Pertmaster, etc.
- The role will involve extensive travel