Software Development Coach
Pertemps Scotland Ltd are working with our client in Edinburgh to recruit for a Software Development Coach in the Public Sector on a temporary basis for 6 Months with potential extension.
Due to current circumstances this role will be based remotely.
D/R - £475 to £565 (Inside IR35)
An experienced software development coach is required to provide hands-on coaching and support to high-performing agile development teams and individuals in modern software development and engineering practices, with an emphasis on new junior developers entering the organisation.
This requirement is for a hands-on development practitioner rather than a more general agile coach.
The main duties would be:
- Design and develop a "grow our own" programme to introduce new graduate junior developers to the organisation and equip them to be productive members of high-performing development teams.
- Hands-on coaching and support of multiple agile product development teams on modern software development and engineering practices
- Mentoring and development of individual junior developers
- Embedding with product development teams to understand their development practices and to leverage their delivery capability
- Helping teams assess their current practices and abilities, identifying weak spots and potential improvements
- Demonstrating development practices that move teas from a development mindset to a DevOps mindset
- Coaching teams to improve quality and flow of development through better collaboration and engineering disciplines
- Working with other coaches in the organisation to deliver learning where needed
- Aiding teams' understanding of how to slice work thinly to deliver working code frequently
- Building and nurturing effective communities of practice
- Advising and assisting with the recruitment of software developers
Modern software development practices, including:
- Must be passionate about software engineering and developing excellent quality software with other people in a lean/agile environment.
- Significant and demonstrable commercial experience in the following areas:
- Significant role in delivering or leading software development
- Coaching, mentoring and training teams and individuals to improve software development practices, focusing on engineering practices
- Balancing multiple priorities and dealing with ambiguity in role and responsibility
- Introducing new efficient processes and concepts in a continuously delivering DevOps environment
- Delivering within Digital First or GDS quality standards
- Delivering solutions using human-centred, research-driven, inclusive-design practices
- Incrementally replacing enterprise legacy systems, including corporate finance systems
Significant and demonstrable commercial experience with the following technologies:
- TDD & BDD
- Trunk-based development
- Continuous improvement
- Monitoring, telemetry, alerting, analytics both in the cloud and on-premise
- A/B testing and feature toggling
- Testing legacy code
- Refactoring legacy code
- Story mapping
- Scrum and Kanban
- Security and OWASP
DesirableCommercial experience with:
- Java 8+
- Spring boot microservices and REST APIs
- Event-driven CI/CD pipelines, including Jenkins
- Testing frameworks
- AWS, including Lambda, S3, Aurora/Postgres, API Gateway, CDK, CI/CD approaches in a multi-account environment
- Python 2.7/3.X
- Infrastructure as code, including use of Ansible