Our client, a highly esteemed Higher Education establishment based in Glasgow city centre, require a Maintenance Assistant on long term temporary assignment. The salary for the position is £9.52 per hour, working 35 hours per week Monday to Friday.
Brief summary or the role:
Report to the Electrical Charge hand a variety of duties as follows:
Assist in the repair, maintenance, statutory testing and installation of electrical services with the buildings. this includes fault finding and diagnosis of problems ahead of electricians attendance. Also undertake a range of other duties across the remit of Estates Services Operations Team to assist with resources, planning and scheduling in other trade disciplines.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out emergency lighting, planned preventative maintenance tests scheduled via the maintenance system 'Frontline' reporting and small remedial works to ensure the business complies with its statutory obligations.
- Undertake statutory inspections of emergency lighting, central battery and high voltage tripping battery checks, and report through maintenance system 'Frontline' to ensure compliance with statutory obligations.
- Be knowledgeable of safety regulations pertaining to electrical installations, including lifting and COSHH regulations. Ensuring electrical supply area remains isolated whilst electricians are at work, including sign posting and locking flashboards and isolators.
- Carry out servicing an cleaning of electrical equipment and lighting installations including replacements of elements and re-lamping. this includes assessing problems with apparatus and reporting faults as necessary. Lighting includes task lighting, display lighting, street lighting, flood lighting in a wide range of lamp sources such as fluorescent, sodium, metal halide, tungsten and the various control gear technologies associated with these. Transportation of COSHH related products for disposal at designated areas.
- Help and assist Electricians in the installations of electrical fittings and fixtures (drilling, bolting etc.) prior to final installation and termination. Cutting and threading electrical conduits, cutting and bolting of cable trays and the fixing of cables via cleats and banding etc. to ensure that installation are in compliance with wiring regulations. Driving duties i.e. transport materials, access equipment and pick up materials from wholesaler.
- Erecting scaffolding, safe use of ladders and steps and other mobile platforms, motorise hoists. Must have attained certificates and be suitably qualified with PASMA and IPAF. Isolating areas of work, condoning off working areas and providing a safe environment for work.
- Adhere to and continually monitor Health and Safety, Risk Assessments and Method Statements. Assist the Electricians on new work and repairs and act as the second safety person undertaking semi-skilled maintenance tasks both planned and reactive.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be expected
- Previous experience of handy person duties
- Ability to work access equipment and working at height
- Experience of a similar type of environment
- Awareness of manual handling and health and safety regulations
Job related skills
- Good knowledge of basic electrical maintenance
- Good knowledge of light fittings, lamps, caps and voltages
- Understanding of working to Method statements and Risk Assessments
- Able to prioritise and sequence own work and possibly the work of others to ensure that duties are completed on time