Pertemps Scotland Ltd are working with our client in Glasgow to recruit for a Department Manager until March 2021 with a day rate of £175 working 35 hour week, Monday to Friday.
This role will be working from home.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level and have managerial experience at an appropriate level. You will have knowledge and experience of successful project management and of leading and managing a varied team. You will have a strong track record of successfully overseeing the business planning process for large and complex budgets and resources and have experience of developing short and long- term strategic plans aligned with wider organisational targets and objectives.
- Lead the development and delivery of the vision and strategic plans for operational activities in alignment with Departmental/University objectives to enable excellence in education, research, and knowledge exchange. Provide clear and timely professional advice and support to senior Departmental management in effective governance, planning and strategy development within the areas of student experience, innovation and impact, research and global engagement. This includes being the first point of contact for the annual planning process, internal and external reviews, management of health and safety, academic appeals, complaints, and risk management.
- In collaboration with other members of the Departmental Executive Committee and colleagues in Professional Services, deliver excellence in the provision of operational services and resources in order to provide a high quality learning and teaching environment and an efficient and collaborative research environment.
- Advise and support the Head of Department on annual and longer-term budget planning for operational and wider Departmental strategic activities. Oversee business planning activities, including budget management and develop business cases for strategic investments. With the Departmental Executive Committee reflect on areas where performance needs improvement, identify what transformational change is possible, and determine how such change can be achieved. In particular, enhance service provision through evaluation of present position and identification of approaches to improve. Contribute to Faculty- and University-level activities aimed at securing improvements to policy and practice. Maintain oversight of the marketing of the Department's activities, working in partnership with the Faculty and colleagues in Professional Services, as well as co-ordinating Department-based activity, where appropriate.
- Lead on strategic projects within the Department as required, deploying appropriate resources to ensure project delivery, sourcing and analysing relevant data where appropriate, and recommending or taking appropriate remedial action within delegated responsibility, reporting to management through briefings and/or formal reports.
- Support the Head of Department in managing staff by assisting with workforce planning, distribution of duties (including teaching) and design of organisational structure, and by co-ordinating the annual Accountability and Development Review process.
- Oversee the Facilities Management issues within the Department, working with the Department Executive Committee, Faculty and Estates Services colleagues to develop and deliver a plan for the maintenance and development of facilities and to manage the appropriate utilisation of space.
- Undertake other duties appropriate to grade and remit at the request of the Head of Department.
- First degree or equivalent
- Managerial experience at a senior level in a complex and varied working environment
- Knowledge and experience of successful project management and project control techniques, including financial and risk analysis, project planning and appraisal
- Strong track record of successfully overseeing business planning process for large and complex budgets and resources, with responsibility for decision making
- Experience of developing short- and long-term strategic plans in alignment with the wider organisational targets and objectives
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to delegate effectively
- Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to inspire confidence, encourage a team-based approach, and build equally effective working relationships with colleagues within and beyond the Department
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to make well-considered decisions, propose creative solutions, resolve conflicts and demonstrate sound, professional judgement
- Able to work effectively in partnership with senior managers to deliver agreed objectives.
- Relevant professional qualification
- Experience within the higher/further education sector
- Demonstrated ability to prepare detailed written documents relating to strategy, policy, and large-scale reporting
- Resilient under pressure and aware of your own personal impact, strengths and weaknesses.