Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open – and this matters even more through a pandemic.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we’ve adopted during the pandemic, creating a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles, we’re moving to a hybrid approach with various options across working from home, office, and our sites. We’ll cover this during the assessment process.
What you will be doing
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is part of a team of engineers who support the creation of the ‘Intelligent Client’ we require to achieve our AMP7 ambitions and beyond. Focusing on the Mechanical Engineering discipline, you will provide the expertise needed to:
We’re looking for you to:
- Provide the technical input into project definition briefs
- Provide mechanical input into asset surveys and plant condition assessments, feasibility studies, optioneering, whole life costing, and preliminary designs
- Provide the technical sign-off and assurance during technical delivery including handover
- Ensure we are compliant with engineering-based regulatory requirements in their area
- Support the establishment of a ‘Centre of Excellence for engineering
- Support the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that leads Thames Water’s engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond
- Assist in the monitoring and development of Graduates and Apprentices in the team
What’s in it for you?
- Have highly developed communication, influencing, and interpersonal skills to interact with stakeholders, and team members
- Be a recognized senior engineer in Mechanical Engineering with considerable experience in the water industry
- Have Lead Design experience
- Have a passion for continuous professional development and a collaborative approach to driving diversity within engineering in Thames Water
- Be knowledgeable in any of the following: pumps/pipe systems, sludge, gas/CHP systems, water/wastewater treatment process equipment
- Understand the regulatory environment to achieve compliance with our engineering regulatory requirements
- Be degree qualified or equivalent in mechanical engineering with chartership through a relevant awarding body/working towards chartership
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the newly established Engineering Team, which is responsible for providing technical expertise to the business. You will be able to help shape the new engineering function and to design solutions for implementation as part of a wide portfolio of projects.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding , and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy a fulfilling career, flexible working arrangements , and great benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader employer.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of your role, you’ll be asked to help out our Instant Support Team to help our customers in their hour of need. This is incredibly rewarding, and you’ll be given full training – it’s also a great opportunity to learn more about our business and meet colleagues.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can’t consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.