Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.What you will be doing
As the Mechanical Engineer, you’ll be part of an industry-leading mechanical engineering team that will establish the intelligent client that Thames Water requires to achieve its AMP7 ambitions and beyond.
Focusing on the mechanical engineering discipline, the role will provide the expertise needed to:
We’re looking for you to:
- Get the right technical requirements with the project definition briefs
- Input and continuously improve technical asset standards
- Provide mechanical input into asset surveys and plant condition assessments, feasibility studies, optioneering, whole life costing, and preliminary designs
- Support the establishment of a ‘Centre of Excellence for engineering
- Provide design sign-off to Capital Delivery as the delivery stream dictates
- Provide technical assurance during the delivery, commissioning, and handover of assets
- Drive the digital advancement of our engineering within the corporate digital strategy
- Ensure and deliver the engineering regulatory compliance on relevant assets in the mechanical engineering area
- Support the establishment of a cohesive, sustainable engineering structure from graduate to industry experts that leads Thames Water’s engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond
What’s in it for you?
- Be educated to a degree level in engineering or other appropriate technical qualification
- Have previous experience working for a water utility company
- Have design expertise in one or more of these areas: Pumps/pipe systems, sludge, gas/CHP systems, water/wastewater treatment process equipment
- Understand the regulatory environment to achieve compliance with our engineering regulatory requirements
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to interact with our stakeholders
- Collaborate with and influence colleagues
- Be adept in budget management
- Take accountability for your role while working accurately and flexibly within a busy team
- Have a passion for continuous professional development and an active approach to driving diversity within engineering at Thames Water
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the recently established Engineering team, which is responsible for providing technical expertise to the business. You will be able to help shape the new engineering function and to design solutions for implementation as part of a wide portfolio of projects.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we have adopted during the pandemic. We want to create a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles, we are moving to a hybrid approach where we will provide options around working from our offices, our operational sites, and home dependent on role/team/individual. This will be discussed during the assessment process.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding, and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements, and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader and we are a Times Top 50 Employer for Women.
You can find out more in our working for us section of our website.