Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes,
keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open.What you’ll be doing
Working in an industry-leading Civil Engineering team, as a Civil Engineer
, you will be instrumental in analyzing engineering problems, producing designs, calculations, drawings, specifications, and reports, and helping to ensure we comply with the engineering-based regulatory requirements. Working alongside the Senior Civil Engineer, you’ll conceptualize and outline the design of a variety of treatment works and infrastructure for both water and wastewater projects.
You’ll be supporting the development, briefing, and providing technical input to ensure we have the correct engineering solutions, outline designs, and technical requirements within the projects.
You’ll also be part of a cohesive, sustainable engineering structure that leads Thames Water’s engineering requirements into AMP8 and beyond.
This exciting opportunity is in a dynamic and fast-paced environment and the day-to-day duties include:
We’re looking for you to
- Evaluating root causes of problems at our treatments works or in the network
- Undertaking site visits
- Ensuring that safe sustainable design is developed
- Preparing calculations, designs, study reports, specifications, drawings, and H&S documentation
- Liaising with other engineering disciplines to ensure that the civil engineering design caters to their needs
- Provide civil engineering input into asset surveys and plant condition assessments, feasibility studies, optioneering, whole life costing, and preliminary designs
What’s in it for you?
- Be educated to degree level or other appropriate technical qualification in Civil Engineering
- Be knowledgeable and have some experience in one or more of the following: water utility civil infrastructure design and construction, water/wastewater treatment works, and hydraulic design
- Understand the regulatory environment to achieve compliance with our Engineering regulatory requirements
- Possess the ability to use your initiative and undertake tasks efficiently and objectively
- Have excellent communication and influencing skills, to engage with our colleagues and stakeholders
- Deliver an exceptional service through a passionate and positive approach, taking accountability for your role while working accurately and flexibly within a busy team
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a recently established and growing engineering team responsible for providing technical expertise to the business. Working for the engineering team in the biggest water company in the UK, you will have the chance to help shape the engineering function and support a variety of water engineering challenges.
We will provide you with relevant training, development, and support so that you can further your engineering career in the water industry.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days of holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme including our benefits hub, which is packed full of offers and information to save you money and support your wellbeing.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy a fulfilling career, flexible working arrangements, and really great benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader employer.
Find out more about working at Thames Water
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of Team Thames, you’ll have the opportunity to sign up to support our customers on the frontline as an ambassador. Full training will be given for what is undoubtedly an incredibly rewarding experience. It’s also a great opportunity to learn more about our business, meet colleagues, and a earn bit of extra money along the way.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can’t consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.