Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes,
keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to life, so our business is always open – and this matters even more through a pandemic.
We’re proud of the positive ways of working we’ve adopted during the pandemic, creating a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles, we’re moving to a hybrid approach with various options across working from home, office, and our sites. We’ll cover this during the assessment process.What you’ll be doing
Working under the direction of the Principal Environmental Engineer, this is a great opportunity to be part of the Environmental team who ensures Thames Water Capital Delivery projects are compliant with various legislative and Thames Water commitments. You’ll support the drive to focus on more sustainable solutions, such as those which include a reduction in embodied and operational carbon.
The Sustainability Engineer will:
- Provide carbon and sustainability technical assurance for projects throughout solution development, leading into design and construction
- Review and assure carbon and sustainability deliverables in line with the process
- Drive projects to achieve lower embodied carbon solutions
- Promote the delivery of lower operational carbon solutions, to support Thames Waters's commitment to achieving net-zero by 2030
- Work closely with delivery partners and colleagues to provide guidance and training
- Assist in the environmental de-risking of Capital Delivery projects and suggest appropriate mitigation
- Input into the continuous improvement of the Thames Water Environmental Assurance function
- Work with the wider environmental functions, to ensure a joined-up and consistent approach to protecting and enhancing the environment
The key requirements of the role include:
What you should bring to the role
- Promoting continuous improvement of environmental/sustainability performance of all projects
- Being familiar with and effectively communicating the requirements of current applicable environmental legislation and best practice
- Thinking innovatively and working with the Project Engineering team to identify areas where the process can be improved
- Aiding all project personnel to enable them to manage their carbon and sustainability duties and responsibilities
- Assisting the Environmental team in various internal and external meetings, workshops, management reviews, and forums
- Raising awareness and understanding of carbon and sustainability targets throughout Capital Delivery
What’s in it for you?
- Be educated to degree level, HNC, or equivalent in an engineering discipline – it would be great if you are a member of a relevant professional body
- Previous experience in the utility industry is preferable
- Have an interest in project delivery and a passion for protecting and enhancing the environment
- Take a proactive approach and be able to adapt to changing scenarios to solve problems and maintain Thames Water standards
- Be a great team player with the ability to work collaboratively, influence, and negotiate
- Have a full clean driving licence as you may be required to travel across the Thames Water catchment
This key role offers the opportunity to contribute to the environmental planning and de-risking of projects across London. You’ll develop your knowledge in challenging industry topics such as sustainable design and construction, and net-zero carbon in the water industry and work with colleagues from a variety of technical backgrounds on Thames Water’s journey in delivering better outcomes for its customers and the environment.You’ll have the opportunity to work towards Chartership with the support of senior leaders.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service, and a wider benefits scheme.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy a fulfilling career, flexible working arrangements, and really great benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader employer.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of your role, you’ll be asked to help out our Instant Support Team to help our customers in their hour of need. This is incredibly rewarding, and you’ll be given full training – it’s also a great opportunity to learn more about our business and meet colleagues.
Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can’t consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.