Who are we?
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km of pipes, keeping taps flowing and toilets flushing. We also collect and treat all the wastewater from London, its surrounding areas, as well as Thames Valley counties; and ensure that the treated wastewater which returns to our rivers and streams maintains or improves biodiversity and the natural environment.
At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. We are a company that prides itself on taking care of each other, respecting, and valuing everyone. In Capital Delivery, we take pride in our work through the projects we deliver, knowing that every project contributes to either supplying quality high-quality drinking water to the population or protecting our environment.
We’ve embraced the positive ways of working we adopted during the pandemic, creating a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. Post-Covid, we’ve moved to a hybrid approach for our office-based roles with flexible options for working from the home, office, and our operating sites. We’ll cover this during the assessment process.What you’ll be doing
As a Project Manager, you’ll be providing single-point accountability and leadership for the delivery of a few projects within a Programme of work in a defined geographical area. This will primarily be achieved by managing and assuring the performance of contractors to safely deliver project outcomes to time, cost, and quality.
You’ll be driving the development and continuous improvement of the Project Team and Supply Chain, relentlessly striving to deliver future benefits into operation, alongside enhanced health, safety & environmental outcomes, and superior commercial performance.
We’re looking for you to have
- Accountability throughout the project lifecycle, governance compliance, and internal/external stakeholder engagement leading to the smooth transition into operational business
- Managing the development of project briefs, including supplementary information for the subsequent early contractor involvement phase of the project.
- Driving the development and definition of the tender package(s), including the definition of the scope of work to support the commercial team through each stage of the tender process ensuring timescales are met.
- Managing the implementation of the delivery strategy for the project, highlighting program and project risks relating to regulatory consent required, including consideration of any potential ‘early works.
- Managing and assuring the performance of the project team and contractors to deliver project outcomes to time, cost, and quality.
- Driving a proactive health and safety culture.
- Management of risks, opportunities, and issues in a fully transparent manner through effective reporting and escalation.
- Commercially managing all contract matters to achieve the optimal outcome for Thames Water.
- Contributing to program-wide continuous improvement and delivering against stretch targets.
What’s in it for you?
- Be qualified to an HNC /degree level with further or outstanding role-specific experience, preferably related to, or in, design and construction
- At least three years of experience working within a capital project environment
- At least two years of experience managing a team
- Strong understanding and application of Project Management fundamentals
- Excellent commercial, financial and contractual awareness
- Proven track record of managing the performance of third-party organisations
- Strong stakeholder engagement & management skills, preferably with experience in managing and aligning internal and external stakeholders concurrently
- Excellent communication & leadership skills
- Safety-first organizations the ability to drive a team to incident-free delivery
This is a challenging, rewarding, and exciting role, for which we are looking for proactive and engaging individuals who can steer projects forward. With the help of the team who work alongside you, this role will enable you to forge a career with Thames Water and make an impact on our long-term ambitions through the successful delivery of our capital investment portfolio.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, a minimum of 26 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 30 days depending on grade.
Thames Water is a dynamic, rewarding, and diverse place to work, with opportunities around every corner. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy a fulfilling career, flexible working arrangements, and great benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion, and Disability Confident Leader employer.
Find out more about working at Thames Water.
We deliver life's essential service so our customers, communities, and the environment can thrive. This means, that when a crisis happens, we all rally around to support our customers. As part of your role, you’ll be asked to help our Instant Support Team to help our customers in their hour of need. This is incredibly rewarding, and you’ll be given full training – it’s also a great opportunity to learn more about our business and meet colleagues.Disclaimer: due to the high volume of applications we receive, we may close a vacancy earlier than the advertised date. This is so we can manage all the applications properly and give candidates a positive experience. Once closed, we can’t consider any further applications, so please submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.